Search This Blog

Friday 15 November 2013

Tape it Off Baby! (tutorial)

It's time for a tutorial! I know it's been a long time since I've done one so I apologize for that but I've got a killer look for you today and all it requires is nail polish, scotch tape and patience!

Here is the finished look:


For this look I used Vernis classique by Cherimoya Light Red and two coats of L'Oreal Satin Sheets to get a kind of rose gold colour for the base.


I then taped off random sections and painted on L'Oreal Boozy Brunch (orange), Sephora X Control Freak (maroon) and OPI  Magazine Cover Mouse (textured red).


Here is a step by step breakdown of how I achieved the look:


Step 1: after prepping your nail (I usually use a cuticle oil and then a base coat) paint on your first colour. In this example I am using Essie Good as Gold. Then comes the hardest part; you need to wait for it to dry really well! If you go on to the next part to soon, you will pull up your base coat and will need to start again.

Step 2: using scotch tape, section off a part of your nail. Make sure the tape is really stuck down so you don't get bleeding under the tape.

Step 3: use your second colour (I used China Glaze Turned up Turquoise) and paint over your nail. No need to paint in the lines as that is what the tape is for.


Step 4: remove the scotch tape. As you can see I was a little eager and applied the tape too soon and got some damage on the tip. If I was doing this for real I would have redone it but I'm glad I can show you and you can learn from my mistake, lol.

Step 5: the same as Step 2. It's so important to make sure your polish is fully dry before you apply the tape. If you want to speed the process up, you can add a fast drying topcoat before putting the tape on.

Step 6: paint on your next colour.


Steps 7-9: repeating steps 4-6 (I used a green glitter from Color Club for my last colour).


Once you've finished all your sections you can top it off with a top coat and Blam! you have some beautiful and easy nail art. The most important part is just being patient and allowing your polish to dry before going on to the next step.

As you can see from my first pics, no two nails are the same. It's a really versatile design so just have fun with it!


Happy painting friends!

1 comment:

  1. nice one! I like the geometric styles the best!

    ReplyDelete