Search This Blog

Thursday 31 October 2013

It's Halloween!

One of my favourite times of the year is today! I love the spookiness of this holiday. It's a great excuse to watch horror movies (which frankly I watch all year anyway!) and we just watched The Conjuring the other night. It is by far the creepiest movie I have seen in a long time. I highly recommend it but only if you like the genre.

For today's nail art I asked my mom what her favourite horror movie is and she immediately said Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds". She saw it when she was five or six and it scared the pants off of her.


Let me explain what I did on each nail. I started with a base of Barielle U Concrete Me, a light grey, on each finger except my ring which is Essie Cashmere Bathrobe. The pinkie is a whole load of birds done with a black nail pen. The ring is a birdcage with two love birds done with nail pens.


The middle was supposed to be a whole load of birds in the background with the title of the movie written over top but you can't really see the birds because the writing turned out so big. This was also done with nail pens. The index is a single drop of blood done with a nail pen.


The thumb was done with a mixture of nail pens and the highlighted bit of the crow is Sally Hansen Gunmetal.

I think most of the nails are self explanatory but I will explain the index and ring fingers. The single drop of blood is supposed to emulate the first strike from the birds. A seagull swoops down and nicks the main actress on the head and she has just a small amount of blood run down her forehead. In a lot of ways I think that's far creepier than having a blood bath.


The lovebirds may seem a strange choice but I think it's the most chilling part of the movie. All of these birds are attacking people and yet the main characters make the decision to keep these two love birds at the end of the movie. Say what?!? I think those wily love birds would find a way to break out of the cage and eat everyone!


It's a good movie if you like the classics. Alfred Hitchcock certainly had a way with horror!

And so ends the Halloween nail art. I will definitely miss it but it gives me something to look forward to for next year. I'll have a bunch of different styles over the next month and then when December hits (or possibly a bit before) bring on the Christmas nail art!!

Happy painting friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment