Search This Blog

Saturday 28 September 2013

It's Sweater Season (Argyle Tutorial)

This time of year is great because you get to bundle up in warm sweaters and get all comfy cozy. One of my favourites is the argyle pattern and I thought I would do my next tutorial around that.

First off, here is the finished product:


Let's get started!

My base coat is Essie Cashmere Bathrobe. I absolutely love this colour! It's a deep grey with a touch of shimmer to it and I think the name is fantastic. It's from Essie's 2013 Fall Collection.


Then using striping tape I taped off an X in the centre of my nails. The trick to striping tape is to put the tape on all of your nails at once so that you don't have to fiddle with it while your nails are wet.


Very carefully I then painted a hot pink colour (sorry it's not marked with a name) by OPI into the sides of the X and removed the striping tape quickly to attempt to keep the lines clean.



You should end up with something like this:


Don't worry if it's looking a little messy. That's what clean up is for! I then took one of my handy nail pens in a bright forest green colour and drew the lines in.


Once that was completely dry I cleaned up the edges with a brush and my acetone.


Then topped it off with Revlon Matte Top Coat to give it the look of wool.



I'm "falling" in love with these colours, haha!

Something you may want to try instead of free handing the lines onto your design is to use the striping tape for the lines and just cut the tape to size. It would mean that your lines would be perfectly straight! Plus, striping tape comes in a multitude of colours so you could use whatever colour fit your motif.

Here's an example of what I mean (colours= Sephora by OPI It's totally karma, Jessica Pink Explosion):


And with a matte topcoat:


And here's an example of another colour scheme using a nail pen for the lines not striping tape (colours= China Glaze Sparks will fly, Color Club What a Drag).


What's your favourite colour combo? Do you think this is something you could try out?
Hope you enjoyed today's tutorial. Happy painting :)

No comments:

Post a Comment